Today is my sister's Wedding Day.
Lisa is my only sister. As such, I spent most of my childhood sharing a room with her. Unfortunately for her, she was the neat one. My side of the room left a lot to be desired. She not only had to put up with my messy side of the room. She also had to share a bed with me and endure nights of tears while I transitioned to a pacifier-free toddlerhood. Even worse, she had to endure the infamous years of bed-wetting...years that she spent waking up midstream. Eventually we moved to twin beds. I would sneak into her bed at night so that we could scratch each others backs. She once had the idea to bring a key with her to bed for us to use as a scratching implement. That wasn't the best idea she ever had.
When we built a new house we had plenty of room. We could finally each have our own bedroom. But somehow I still ended up in her room most nights.
I remember imagining a lot together. I remember playing that we were blind. We would take turns being the blind person while the other person led us around the yard. When it was my turn to lead her, I of course forgot that she couldn't see. She ended up flat on her face in the sand box.
We also created "The Home Show." A video-attempt to advertise our house, including Nathan in the commercials. We would also tape-record ourselves to pretend being on the radio.
Most often, we would dress up to play "old-fashioned." Typically the story line was that we were slaves trying to make an escape while saving the kittens as our plunder. That, or we were taking refuge from an oncoming tornado. Apparently we coveted a life of hardship and danger.
Most of all, I'm grateful for Lisa because I remember her leading me to the Lord. One day after looking at pictures of the end-times, I was afraid. She told me that I didn't have to be afraid if I asked Jesus into my heart. My memories of how much of the Gospel she shared with me or of how much I understood are vague, but that's the first memory I have of someone specifically trying to lead me to Jesus for salvation.
I thank God for you, Motra. You are one of the good gifts He has given me.
I look forward to many more memories in the years to come.
I love you and am grateful to have you as my sister and friend.

Great pix so far, Liz. This particular post brings back so many memories of sweet childhood sisterhood. Thanks so much for sharing. My sister was key in leading me to Jesus too. So thankful for that bond. Keep writing, m. vineandshoots.blogspot.com
ReplyDelete