It was my first time seeing that blog and somehow the recipe sounded good. In my obsession to make cookies just slightly healthier (so I can eat more with less guilt) I had to make a few alterations. I switched the flour to whole wheat, very slightly lessened the amount of butter, and altered the baking temperature, etc. Usually when that happens, my whole family suffers. The delicious smell leads to utter disappointment.
But....This time it was a success. I have often tried to figure out some sort of clue on altering cookie recipes to use whole wheat flour instead of white. I finally found these helpful hints that helped me know what changes to make. Very helpful.
I have made them twice now, and I won't tell you how many actual cookies I have eaten.
I like them because they don't seem to dry out as quickly as some, and they have a nice chewiness to them. You can't go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate.
Here's my altered recipe...check out Kellie's blog if you want the original.
Oatmeal Peanutty Chocolate Chip Cookies
6 1/2 T butter slightly softened1/2 c white sugar (although I don't use quite the full half cup)
1/2 c brown sugar (I don't pack it, but I make sure to do the full half cup. I hate the taste of more white than brown)
1/2 c peanut butter
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1 c old fashioned oatmeal
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
chocolate chips (I never know how many I put in....whatever looks good)
Preheat oven to 350°.
Beat butter and sugar.
Add peanut butter and beat well until creamy.
Yes, Smucker's Natural is the only way to go.
Add egg and vanilla and beat some more.
Combine dry ingredients (except the chips) and mix.
Let me mention that the whole wheat flour I use is ground at home and is used right from the freezer. For making bread, it works well to add it straight from the wheat mill, but for some reason my cookies seem to work better with frozen flour. I guess maybe it settles differently when I measure it.
Add to other ingredients and mix by hand.
Add chocolate chips.
And eat a few.
Drop on parchment paper on ungreased cookie sheets.
Slightly flatten with a fork (like you would for peanut butter cookies).
Bake for 8-11 minutes. 9 minutes is about the perfect time for mine.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the cookie sheet.
And eat them all. Or share a few.








No comments:
Post a Comment